Friday, June 22, 2007

Wasting Time

It occurred to me today how many things there are out there that are really just a waste of time. Entertainment of all kinds, sports, movie, internet surfing, tv shows, reading books. These all have the potential to get in the way of a deepening relationship with God.

I have engaged in a lot of these activities in the past couple of weeks and then wondered why I can't get a solid routine established reading the Bible, why I feel like my relationship with God is so dry and distant at the moment. Maybe it's because I've been wasting my time with these things that I like so much but leave me in the end feeling and empty and worst, and at best, not feeling any closer to God.

Yet I am committing my life to go and give this book that I won't make time for in my life to other people. Doesn't make sense. And I know from my own experience that when I get into a good rhythm of dedicating myself to time with God, dedicating myself in leading my family to do the same, that I feel more alive, feel more enriched, feel closer to God. Sort of a "seek ye first the kingdom of God" kind of thing.

But I keep letting things get in the way. The Bible tells a story about a rich young man who wanted to follow Jesus. It says Jesus looked at him and loved him. And Jesus told him to sell his possessions and follow him. And he went away sad because he had great wealth.

You see, it's not just enough to WANT to follow Jesus. I need to do the task of following Jesus. I need to give up the things that keep me from deepening my relationship with Him, that keep me from learning how to be and acting more like Him. I need to rid my life of the idols that I enjoy but leave me empty and instead fill myself with God's word and service, and discipling my family which I will learn to love even more because it is so right, so true, so much what God made me to do.

What's coming between you and a closer relationship with God?

Is it enough to just want it and want it to fit in nicely with the other stuff in your life?

Or do you need to give something up?

Pray for me - that I will not waste time.

Thanks.

No comments: