Thursday, June 14, 2007

Update June 14

Happy Flag Day everyone (in case you were wondering why you got no mail today)

Just a quick update - we are a little more than three weeks away from our departure from Dayton. There is a possible lead on our home, we should know more by tomorrow on that. Other than that, there is no activity on the house - no one looking. There is a family that has narrowed down their house selection to ours and one other and they will make an offer on one of them tomorrow (Friday). So you can pray for that to happen. If we can get this place sold, we will be in really good shape for this move.

We brought a hitch for the van so we can take a small U-Haul trailer down to Dallas. We found that to be more cost-effective than shipping our books down via media mail.

Maya and the kids got me a table top Weber gas grill for Father's Day. It helps me deal with the separation pain of parting with my big Weber gas grill which I left at mom and dad's last month. It will also allow us to cook out at rest stops along the way instead of eating at restaurants to save a few bucks.

I'm finishing up my final message series at Emmanuel over the next four weeks. The series is about the stuff that gets lodged in our hearts and negatively impacts our behaviors and relationships and ultimately our ability to be a walking billboard for the glory of God and the power of the Gospel.

This week is on guilt and how to be freed from guilt in our lives by confession. Guilt says, "I owe you." In the church we've come to view confession as something between us and God, which it is, but a closer look at scripture will show that confession to God is a springboard to confession to the one who has been wronged, and if we can develop the habit of confession, keeping short lists, keeping everything in the open then we will break the power of guilt in our lives.

Next week is on jealousy which says, "God owes me." Jealousy feels like a problem between us and other people, but all of that is actually a reflection of another relationship that is going bad, us and God.

Following that is greed. Greed says, "I owe me." And I need prayers on this, because it is a tough topic and a sensitive topic, and I really want to talk to my congregation winsomely and lovingly and also effectively about it. I'll post more about it later.

Finally there is anger, which basically says, "You owe me." This is one of the most challenging sets of messages I have ever given and honestly ever written. I appreciate your prayers for wisdom as I finish up those last two.

So I'll sign back in and let you know what happens with the house real soon!
Take care.

No comments: