Monday, September 17, 2007

End Session Two

Ok, session two of the Certificate in Applied Linguistics ended today at GIAL with no fanfare or pomp, because session 3 starts right away tomorrow.  However, the Articulatory Phonetics class that Maya and I have been taking wrapped up today with a final exam.  We don't have our final grades yet, but I would estimate that Maya did in the 'B' range in a graduate course in linguistics so congrats to her!  If you get the chance to give her a call or send her an email to congratulate her and say way to go, I know she would appreciate that a lot.  She has the next four weeks off of class, but will be doing some Bible study and other mission related reading as well as taking the chance to make some Christmas gifts and catch her breath before she picks up with Cultural Anthropology from Mid-October to Mid-December.  I'm so proud of her!

Meanwhile, I move on from phonetics to the second half of grammar analysis, while continuing phonology and second language and culture acquistion (SLACA).  In SLACA I am learning Swahili, an east African language, along with my fellow LBT candidate, Kory Fay.  We are having fun with it and learning a lot of great tools for when we have to devise our own language learning program in the field.  I took the family to a Kenyan African church yesterday for their worship service and got to speak briefly to the congregation in (very limited) Swahili.  It was a lot of fun!

This coming weekend I am flying to Dayton for Kristen Holdeman and Charlie Blair's wedding.  I also get to preach at the congregation where I was previously pastor, Emmanuel in Kettering OH.  That's about all that's new around here.  Take care and I'll talk to y'all later.

Rich for Maya & The Crew

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ni ta ku piga. Wewe ni mfivo. Toka hapa.